Thursday, November 19, 2009

Friendships online, away from home?

I live very far from home because im married to a soldier. Its very hard for me to have solid friendships and its even more difficult since i've moved so many times in the past year or two. I have high school friends on facebook living at home and some military wives friends that i talk to online but they move/spend time with hubby/haven't met them yet on base.


I might have future opportunities to meet friends in person later, but right now i only have a social network on local military message boards and online in general. Is it the wrong way to go about making friends? Is there anything i can do differently to try to maintain friendships? I've had this problem for years and would love more than anything to have a solid friendship, someone i can talk to about and look for support for things. I'm going through hard times and really don't have anyone. I would love to be able to support someone when they are in need of help.

Friendships online, away from home?
It sounds to me like you are doing the best you can. I'm a military member myself and about a year ago i received a distraught call from my best friend back home where she proceeded to tell me that she feels like i don't care any longer because keeping in touch is so difficult.





i took the time to explain to her that every place i go i have to make an effort to build relationships and (lovingly, of course) let her know that in all the places i go if i spent all my time trying to keep my contacts at home i would have no one here for my physically. Ever since we have maintained a great friendship even though we can't keep up constantly.





Sometimes dropping a letter in the mail can mean the world - it shows you take time to write that person, not just something fleeting on the internet.





sadly - the military life asks this of us and if you have great friends, as i do, they will understand and pick up the phone when you call, even if it is only in times of need.





as for making new friends i would try to make some civilian friends. you know as well as i do that military members come and go but you have a better chance of keeping longer relationships if you meet some of the locals. You have 1-2 years on a base at least - so take advantage of local theatre, bar scenes (dart tournaments, even if you aren't a good player, are a great way to meet folks), art, volunteer opportunities...etc. A great way to find out about these things is going by a local coffee shop and picking up a local rag. learn a new skill in a class enviroment, learning something at the same pace as others can be a great way to socialize.





Good luck to you! you are not alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment